I was looking through a box of papers from my past when I discovered a construction paper picture made with cut pieces of different colors and outlined with a black crayon. On the bottom, it said "stained glass window." It looked like some five-year-old had tried to portray his vision of glass art. As I studied the simple art piece, I located a signature on the back."
I now realize that glass has been in my subconscious for almost 50 years, and it has manifested itself in stained glass, leaded glass, faceted glass, bevelled glass, and now fused glass wall art. The wall art I create is mixed media in the form of fused glass mounted over polished metal. Several years ago, I came up with the idea at an art show when selling stained glass panels to be hung in a window. A customer told me they have blinds on their windows, so they would not see it anyway. They had more wall space than window space. This got my creative curiosity moving in an entirely new direction.
My first experiment was mounting glass over a mirror, but it looked cheap, and I saw myself and what was behind me in its reflection, not very appealing. I had been working with metal and blacksmithing, so I came up with aluminium. This metal reflects and can be manipulated to enhance the design. If the glass were mounted away from the metal, it would have "Movement and Energy" thus was born Fused Glass Wall Art.
My designs are abstract and work well in a room filled with natural light. This changes throughout the day, so the piece changes with it. A spotlight can enhance the design by night, thus adding even more color changes through Dichroic glass. My inspiration comes from the natural world that surrounds me here in Southwest Louisiana with a tropical and Caribbean style mixed with some whimsical fun. Creating glass art designs that have never been conceived by any other fills me with a sense of accomplishment and integrity. It has proven to be the most accurate translation of inner vision to outer reality.
Frank Thompson is a full-time glass artist with a working studio located North of Lake Charles, LA. It is there where he works in 2D and 3D mixed media using glass and metal. He currently shows and sells his work at juried art shows throughout the South-eastern United States and his studio gallery just north of Lake Charles, Louisiana. He has been featured in several newspapers, magazines, radio, and television programs for his art.
Frank is a self-taught artist that has been working in glass since 1982. His fused glass wall art development is abstract in style and is influenced by the vibrant colors and positive energy of nature with a whimsical Caribbean theme. His technique begins with arranging colored glass mixed with dichroic then fired in a kiln. He then mounts the fused glass piece 2 inches above metal polished to match the glass design. The result is a striking wall art piece that reflects light and has “movement” and “energy when viewed at different angles and intensities of light.From 1995 - 2005 he taught his techniques of stained glass at the Continuing Education Program at McNeese State University in both Beginners and Intermediate stained glass.
His first significant stained glass project was creating the 14 Stations of the Cross at St. Mary of the Lake Parish in Big Lake in 1993. Since then, his work has been found in over 35 churches, hospitals, restaurants, and both public and private collections.A graduate of St. Louis High School, Lake Charles, in 1978, he began working as a carpenter and soon became a home building contractor. He began to work on historic restoration projects and started making custom art glass doors and windows. Many of his doors are installed in other states are giving him national notoriety.
As an Independent artist who travels and participates in art shows, I would be remiss if I did not acknowledge the one person in my life who has always been there for me.
For 35 years now, my wife Eva has been behind the scenes doing work that not many see. She is my business manager who does anything and everything to make this venture such a success. Accounting, planning, and organizing my time, making sure I eat properly and take my health supplements, booking hotel rooms, laundry, Novena's to St. Joseph, and making sure I do not forget anything, and the list goes on and on.Yes, folks, behind every good man, a woman is rolling her eyes.
Thank You, Sweetheart
Our Fused Glass Art Gallery and Studio
Located at 346 Welcome Rd. Ragley, LA 70657
Frank Thompson Studio Tour (rap) is now uploaded to my YouTube Channel
- "First Place- Fine Arts" National Shrimp Festival, Gulf Shores, AL 10/13/2016
- "Best of Show" 47th Annual Rockport Festival of Art, Rockport, TX 7/2/2016
- "3rd Place Overall" Union St. Festival, San Francisco, CA 6/4/2016
- "Best Booth Display" King William Fair, San Antonio, TX 4/23/2016
- "2nd Place, Sculpture" Eastern Shore Arts Festival, Fairhope, AL 3/17/2016
- "3rd Place Mixed Media and Mayors Choice Award" Orange Beach Festival of Art Orange Beach, Al 3/12/2016
- "3rd Place Mixed Media" St. Stephens Art Show, Coconut Grove, FL 2/14/2016
- "Best of Show" 2015 Red River Revel, Shreveport, LA 10/3/2015
- "Best of Show" New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival, New Orleans, LA 5/1/2015
- "Best of Show" Festival of the Arts, Corpus Christi, TX 3/29/2015
- "Award of Excellence" Art in the Park, Pensacola FL 5/17/2014
- "Best Booth Award" Buckhead Arts Festival, Atlanta, GA 5/10/2014
- "Honorable Mention 2D Mixed Media" Art City Austin, Austin, TX 4/12/2014
- "2nd Place Mixed Media" Eastern Shore Arts Festival, Fairhope AL 3/14/2014
- "Judges Award" Orange Beach Arts Festival, Orange Beach Al 3/8/2014
- "Jurors Award" Red River Revel, Shreveport LA 10/11/2013
- "3rd Place Best of Show" Festival International, Lafayette, LA 4/28/2013
- "Achievement Award" Fest for All, Baton Rouge LA 4/6/2013
- "Memorial Award" Natchitoches Art Guild 2011 Juried Art Show
2D and 3D Mixed Media Artist using glass mounted 2" above metal that has been polished to enhance the glass design.
- "Letting the Light Shine Through" By Will Kalec, Acdiana Profile Magazine June-July 2015
- "Giving Glory to God" Gillis Artist Living His Passion through Glass Designs By Frank DiCesare Lake Charles American Press April 19, 2015
- "Imbured in Blues" bu Emily Cogburn, House and Home Magazine, (Page 10 PDF) March 2014
- "The Fusion of Art and Science" by Katie Harrington, Thrive Magazine, November 2013
- "Glass Fusion" by Alex Onken Lake Charles American Press October 17, 2013
- "Louisana Artists: Potraits on Canvas" LPB Documentary aired on October 20, 2013
- "The inspired (and inspiring) Works of Frank Thompson" by Carla Wall, Lagniappe Magazine" November 8, 2010
- "Local Artist Makes Comback after Hurricane Rita" by Elona Weston, Lake Charles American Press September 12, 2006
- "Spirited Works of Master Craftsman Frank Thomson" by Carla Wall, Louisiana Lagniappe Magazine January 2003
- 1995-2005 McNeese State University Continuing Education Program "Beginning Stained Glass" and "Intermediate Stained Glass"